If you have found a stray pet, the following steps will guide you on what to do next:
- Check to see if the pet is wearing an identification tag with a telephone number. If it is, call the telephone number to notify the owner that you have their pet.
- If the pet is not wearing a collar, get in touch with your local veterinary practice, dog warden or animal shelter and explain the situation to them.
- It is likely that they will ask you to bring the pet in so that they can scan it for a microchip.
- If the pet has a microchip, input the number into the search portal on each of the authorised microchip databases, to check where it is registered. The authorised databases are as follows:
- When you have identified the database with which the pet is registered, contact the database. They will be able to identify the owner and advise you further.
- If the pet is not microchipped, your local veterinary practice or dog warden will be able to advise you on what to do next.